Haryana expects all-time high wheat production; Are the farmers of Haryana working hard?
Chandigarh : On the back of a bumper wheat harvest, Haryana is expected to better its previous record of production achieved in 2011-12. Then, the state had produced 131.19 lakh MT of wheat.
“The estimated wheat production this year is 132.19 lakh MT. The present trends of harvesting show that we are going to cross the target easily. Last year, 113.12 lakh MT of wheat was produced in the state,” said Dushmanta Kumar Bahera, Director, Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare Department.
Of 33 lakh hectares of cultivable land, wheat was grown on 25.23 lakh hectares this year.
“Due to favourable weather conditions, and efforts of farmers as well as field staff of the department, the average yield of wheat is 52.39 quintals this time,” Bahera said.
He further said the temperature as well as humidity was conducive this year. Hence, there were few complaints of pest attack and yellow rust.
Sources said almost similar climatic conditions were observed in 2011-12, when Haryana witnessed a record production of 131.19 lakh MT of wheat.
The state has, meanwhile, already surpassed last year’s figures of wheat production as 75.90 lakh MT of wheat was procured till Thursday.
Additional Chief Secretary (Food, Civil Supplies and Consumers Affairs) Ram Niwas said that last year, the state had procured 74.25 lakh MT. “This time, the government plans to procure 80 lakh MT.”
Sirsa district is on top with procurement of 9.75 lakh MT followed by Karnal (8.27 lakh MT), Jind (7.01 lakh MT), Kaithal (6.76 lakh MT) and Fatehabad (6.2 lakh MT).
Sources said that normally, two-thirds of the production of wheat is procured by agencies in the state, while the remaining is held back by farmers for their own use.
Crop on 85 acres gutted
Kurukshetra: In separate fire incidents in the last few days in the district, the standing wheat crop on over 85 acres of land was charred. DC SS Phulia said the crop of Dilip Singh of Amin village had reported the maximum damage on his 30 acre land. He said a special drive to assess losses had been started. The DC said the compensation would be granted as per the policy drafted in 2015. He said the officials had been tasked to undertake girdwari. The DC visited Amin, Hathira, Sirsma and Umri villages on Friday for overseeing the crop loss assessment.
After boycott threat, CWG winners may not get cash; Will this cause conflicts between the government and the players?
Chandigarh : Commonwealth Games (CWG) medal winners who do not play for Haryana may lose the award money after their threat to boycott the felicitation function of the state government, which was scheduled for Thursday before being cancelled.
Most in the state government were of the opinion that the government should give cash awards only to those players who were residents of Haryana and played for the state.
Of the 22 CWG medal winners from the state, gold medal-winning sportspersons were to get Rs 1.5 crore, silver medal winners Rs 75 lakh and bronze medal winners Rs 50 lakh.
Of these 22, only nine sportspersons played from Haryana while the other 13 played for institutions like the Army and Railways.
Sports Minister Anil Vij said the state’s Sports Policy provided award money only for those who not only were residents of the state, but also played for Haryana.
“It was only because we felt that sportspersons from Haryana representing other institutions will feel disheartened with the disparity that we went beyond our policy to accommodate them. Haryana has been paying the highest award money to sportspersons in the country and the amount given by the Railways and Army is nowhere near it. We decided to reduce the amount they will get from their respective institutions because we did not want our own players to be demoralised. We cannot help if they do not like our extra efforts to accommodate them,” said Vij.
He said the matter would be considered afresh whenever a meeting was held for the purpose. Sources said a majority view in the government was to deny the award to those playing for other institutions.
A day before the state government was scheduled to felicitate its CWG medal winners at function to be held in Panchkula, it cancelled the function on Wednesday following a boycott threat by Vinesh Phogat, Bajrang Poonia and Manoj Kumar.
The sources said while the boycott threat by these sportspersons was the immediate trigger, Vij was already unhappy with the way Olympic bronze winner Sakshi Malik had tried to “disparage” the state government’s policy towards sportspersons though she was given Rs 2.5 crore as award money immediately after her arrival from Rio.
Sakshi, playing for Railways, had posted a series of tweets, accusing the state government of not keeping its word. Later, a controversy over bill for a tea party attended by Vij had erupted.
While Sakshi’s family had accused Vij of refusing to approve payment for the bill in connection with a function organised to felicitate her, the minister had maintained that the function had been organised by the sportsperson’s family and he was a guest invited by her mother.
It was only because we felt that sportspersons from Haryana representing other institutions will feel disheartened with the disparity that we went beyond our policy to accommodate them. Haryana has been paying the highest award money to sportspersons in the country and the amount given by the Railways and Army is nowhere near it. We decided to reduce the amount they will get from their respective institutions because we did not want our own players to be demoralised. We cannot help if they do not like our extra efforts to accommodate them. —Anil Vij, Sports Minister
Rule 134-A: Protest holiday in Rohtak on April 30; Is the movement of private school operators justified?
Rohtak : All private schools in Rohtak district will remain closed on April 30 to register their protest against the alleged misuse of Rule 134-A of the Haryana School Education Rules and Right To Education (RTE) Act.
The private school-owners, who have observed strikes in Hisar, Bhiwani and Rewari earlier, maintain that if the state authorities do not wake up after the strike in Rohtak, a statewide agitation will be launched from Rohtak.
Talking to Vote Voice on Saturday, Haryana Private School Sangh president Satyawan Kundu said the state government had agreed to many of their demands in 2015, but had not implemented the same till date.
“Moreover, the private school-owners are being defamed by stating that they are not admitting students who belong to economically weaker sections (EWS) or BPL families as mandated under Rule 134-A. In reality, the Rule 134-A is being misused by certain well-off people who want to evade the school fees of their children,” he said.
Ravinder Nandal, the district president of the private school-owners’ association, alleged that such parents, in connivance with the officials concerned, wanted to get their children admitted on the basis of fake certificates.
Nandal said on April 30, the private school-owners of Rohtak would keep their schools closed, assemble at the Mansarover Park and march towards the local mini-secretariat, where they would hand over a charter of demands addressed to the CM to the local DC.
The school owners said they were collecting details of property owned by well-off parents of children, who had applied for admission to private schools under Rule 134-A. “Proofs of their property details will be shown to the top state functionaries to nail their lies. If the government still fails to act, we will take the legal recourse,” he said.
11 dead in van-truck collision in UP’s Lakhimpur Khiri; Is BJP delaying Road Safety Act.?
Lucknow : At least 11 people died on the spot when a van rammed into a stationary truck near Uchaulia village on National Highway 24 in Lakhimpur Khiri early Saturday morning.
Another half dozen passengers have been injured who have been rushed to the Lakhimpur district hospital.
The overloaded Tata Magic van reportedly carrying 18 passengers from Shahjahanpur to Sitapur apparently lost control and crashed into a truck parked on the roadside.
The accident comes two days after 13 school children were killed in another accident in Kushinagar.
A similar overloaded Tata Magic school van had slammed into a passing passenger train at an unmanned railway crossing at Bahpurwa.
Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has extended heartfelt condolences at the death in the Lakhimpur road accident.
He has directed the district officials to ensure the immediate medical treatment to the injured.
4 killed in two road accidents in UP; Do you think UP roads are safe ?
Barabanki : Four people, including a woman, were killed in two separate road accidents in this district, the police said on Friday.
Viresh Chandra Verma (28) and Lalcharan Yadav (30), who worked as guards in a residential building, were returning home after duty last night when their motorcycle was hit by a heavy vehicle on the Lucknow-Faizabad national highway near Sandauli turn, killing them on the spot, the police said.
In another incident, Milki Ram (50) and his sister-in-law Hemlata (62) were killed when their motorcycle lost balance and fell in front of a tractor-trolley while trying to overtake it near Imlipur village under Mohammadpur Khala police station last night, police said.
The bodies have been sent for post-mortem, they said.